Jammin’ Chocolate Truffles
~ Chocolate velvet with amazing, award-winning fire-roasted-chile Hot Pepper Jelly from Hacienda Maize ~
Delectable combination of chocolate and chiles, spicing up your palate, your life, and your sweeties!
- 12 oz high-quality bittersweet chocolate, broken into pieces (can do semi- or milk chocolate, if preferred)
- 1/2 c Jammin’ Jelly (All of our varieties are divine with chocolate!)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 oz high-quality chocolate for coating truffles, AND/OR…
- Embellishments (optional: cocoa or espresso powder, nuts, sugar flakes, sprinkles, etc.)
- Melt the 12 oz of chocolate carefully. Suggest 1 minute in microwave at 60% power, stir. Heat another minute at 60%; stir. Still have some chocolate pieces in the mix to help cool the chocolate and set crystals; stir with rubber spatula until melted.
- Stovetop: heat and whisk Jammin’ Jelly, cream and vanilla over medium-low heat. Cool a bit.
- Combine chocolate and Jammin’ Jelly and cream mixture.
- Chill mixture for 2+hours.
- Scoop truffle centers, approx 1″, and shape into balls. Place on cookie sheet covered with waxed paper and chill for 1+ hour. (You may need to work in small batches.)
- Option 1 — dipped truffles: Melt 10 oz of dipping chocolate: recommend broad metal bowl over 1″ water in a small saucepan. Do not overheat; do not allow moisture in chocolate. Stir with rubber spatula. Once melted, remove from heat and add remaining 2 oz of chocolate. Stir until melted.
- Cool to approx 88F degrees or so. Use two forks to dip truffle centers into warmed chocolate and place coated truffles on a waxed-paper-lined cookie sheet. Keep dipping chocolate at this temperature: re-warm if necessary, but do not overheat beyond 88F. (If using semi-sweet or milk chocolate, reduce temp slightly.)
- If embellishing dipped truffles, do so while chocolate is freshly dipped (top with sprinkles, nuts, coarse sugar, cocoa or espresso powder, etc.).
- Chill truffles 1+ hours. (Can store airtight in a cool room for 3 days or so.)
- Option 2: Once truffle centers are prepared and chilled, they can be rolled in cocoa powder or powdered sugar or … , which skips the chocolate-dip step. Both methods/options are great!
Also pictured above: Pecans Picante
For making these truffles more devilishly heavenly, see our Creme Puffs Supreme recipe.
! Savor !