Home-made bread, Hacienda Maize Fire-Roasted Chile Jammin’ Jelly in layers of flavor, and superb cheeses.
Chef Darci’s Yeasted Cornbread
Best of two worlds in bread goin’ on
- 3 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c whole wheat bread flour
- 1 1/8 c coarse cornmeal
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast
- 1 1/3 c tepid water
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 TBSP honey
- Buttered bread loaf pan
- Mix flours and cornmeal well.
- Bubble yeast and water.
- Add egg and honey.
- Add wet ingredients to dry, and mix. Looking for heavy/soft dough. Add more flour if sticky. More water if too dry.
- Knead on board 5 minutes by hand, or 3 minutes by mixer.
- Place dough (should feel like a baby’s bottom) in a buttered bowl, invert and cover with a light kitchen towel.
- Leave dough in a warm place to double in size, approx. 1 1/2 hours.
- Lightly flour a shaping surface. Turn dough onto this and shape into a cylinder for your prepared loaf pan (buttered).
- Slip bread loaf in pan into a large plastic bag, inflate slightly, and let rise until doubled in size (approx. 1 hour).
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Bake uncovered loaf at 400F for 30 minutes until golden and the turned-out loaf sounds hollow when knocked-upon from side or bottom.
- Best eaten within 4 days. Can be frozen up to one month.
Jammin’ Mira Sol Melt: 2 slices yeasted cornbread, butter for outsides, Jammin’ Jelly spread inside both sides, Jammin’ Jelly caramelized bacon, 1 oz Pueblo Mira Sol chiles, 1 oz Camembert, 3 oz shredded Gouda and Cheddar mix, and arugula. Layer to your liking. Toast buttered outsides, melting cheeses and honoring the freshness and chile goodness inside.
! Savor !